It all started on the night of Friday, 8 February 1912 at a “meeting of gentlemen interested in the Boy Scout Movement”.
The meeting was held in the Lesser Hall of Giffnock U F Church. The minutes of that meeting record that: “the opinion of the meeting was that an effort should be made to start a Giffnock Troop”. Those efforts were of course successful. A Troop was formed in 1912, a Cub Pack was added a few years later and the Group has grown over the years to a point where it now has around 200 uniformed members including adult leaders.
The Group played a minor role in world events during the Second World War. During the war the Scout Hall also served as the Headquarters of the Giffnock Home Guard and it was to the Scout Hall that Rudolf Hess, Deputy Reichsfuhrer of Nazi Germany, was first brought after he crash-landed near Eaglesham on the night of 10/11 May 1941.
The Group published a short booklet on its history to mark its Centenary in 2012. It also published a photo CD containing over 900 photos from the Group archives. To obtain a copy of the booklet, and/or the photo CD, please contact Peter Ritchie, the Group Archivist, using the contact information on the Contact page.
The Group has an extensive collection of archive material, including films, photographs, camp programmes, camp log books, minute books, etc. Donations of material for the archive are always welcome.
We celebrated our Centenary in 2012 with some special events, and were delighted to welcome past members of the 28th from around the world to our 100th Birthday party.